Here is the Pathway – a step by step guide to learn WordPress web design skills for freelancing.
Have you got a plan for learning WordPress for the purpose of freelancing as a WP web designer or developer? You need one before you jump on a Youtube tutorial videos cruise.
With this pathway, you get a guide to becoming a professional who can safely design, host, and manage a standard website for clients.
Step 1. Understand and discover the prerequisites needed to get productive using WordPress (WP)
WordPress is a Content Management System (CMS) software that is typically setup on a web server and allows the creation, commenting, and management of webpages (actually called posts or pages in WordPress). It has an editor like the one you will find in a word processor, but also includes a lot of other features for managing content.
The content WP manages is practically webpages and quite a number of things are associated with webpages. Since we all have different backgrounds and skillsets, each person must find out what necessary skills they currently have or otherwise, which are needed for using WP as a web creation and management too. What are some things you can do?
- ☐ Ask a question about learning WP in WordPress forums.
- ☐ Search the web for specific queries like “WordPress prerequisite skills”, “What skills are necessary to use WordPress”.
- ☐ Scan through a book or ebook on WordPress and see the key things discussed which you are not familiar with.
Common prerequisites for learning WP
- Web design knowledge
- Web hosting and web management
- A bit of graphics, coding, and styling
- Decent computer-use skills
- See a few more requirements and information about WordPress on our get WP web design skills page
Time required: 60 minutes minimum, and 24 hours maximum.
Step 2. Learn a WordPress web design prerequisite: HTML
- ☐ You should get a web design book now if you have little or no background in designing websites. Don’t worry about specific tools or technologies, just get a general web design book.
- ☐ Open your book, and read up on HTML. At the end of this stage, you should know HTML documents, tags, basic flow and layout of webpages and other basics.
Why should, or rather, must you get a web design book? It is because there are a lot of fine details involved in designing websites, and you will only get most of them together in one source from a textbook. Why a book at this stage and not Youtube video tutorials? Well, one could argue that you will need days-long videos to capture all the fine details in a textbook. So just get a web design book. You will need that book all along the remaining pathway and in the next coming days and weeks.
Time required: 60 minutes minimum, and 24 hours maximum. You may pick up some basic HTML knowledge in 60 minutes but take enough time necessary to get used to HTML as you need. HTML skills will be crucial as you begin to do some level of professional WordPress work.
Resources: Books (by the way there are numerous free and or open access HTML/ web design textbooks online)
Cost: Free. $0 to a few dollars.
Next: Time to take a break
Take a break and continue tonight, or tomorrow depending on what time it is now.